Friday 10 June 2011

Going to the dark side...reading 'The God delusion'...

Yes, I was more than just contemplative, apprehensive or just wondering is it a waste of time when I look at the thick imposing book (actually an audio version). I was scared that my precious belief would be explained away, and God will disappear. Will a simple mind like mine being able to comprehend and think critically when I am led down the corridor by a writer of such brilliance?
I am glad I did. The experience had given me courage to also think through my beliefs and also to read more of the other views, but more….I am now more prepared to listen to others respectfully.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you view dissenters not with disdain but respect (and perhaps with a dose of skepticism too - which really, really is a healthy state of mind).

    When all is said and done; when no arguments went unexplored; when both sides where given due consideration; when logic was duly summoned to separate fact from fiction and duly sent away when its task completed, belief (or disbelief) is a matter of personal choice, at the discretion of one own's volition and of no one else's.

    I may one day replicate your respectful attitude by reading The Bible in its entirety (which, I wish to add, has to be the King James Version for its elegant prose and linguistic aesthetics, all to enhance the reading pleasure).

    If you are ever so keen to expand your reading list of atheistic books, Carl Sagan should not be too far from the top of your list. He was a man of great intellect and humility.

    Now back to the topic at hand after such a long winded digression - what do you think of Dawkins and how persuasive were his arguments against God?

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's a good thing! if we think the others should consider our side, we should rightfully consider theirs.

    ReplyDelete